The International Conference on Biomedical Ontologies (ICBO) is a premier annual conference series that brings together researchers, students and professionals involved in the development and application of ontologies in all areas of biology, medicine, diseases, human health, genome biology, environment, biomes, nutrition, food, plants, agriculture and others.
This year, ICBO will be run jointly with Ontologies and Data for the Life Sciences (ODLS), an annual workshop series that focuses on data management and data processing in the life sciences and in health care, covering the overall spectrum of biomedical information management, from experimental data acquisition and preprocessing across analysis, structuring and interpretation of data, up to developing structured representations of knowledge, in particular in the form of ontologies, with their various applications.
The theme for ICBO|ODLS 2020 is Ontology across Boundaries. This includes the topics of:
- Ontologies at the practical interfaces between different yet interrelated disciplines and communities of practice (e.g. biology–chemistry, immunology–epidemiology etc.)
- Ontologies overcoming boundaries between basic research and translation
- Ontologies and the socioeconomic boundaries that can lead to differences in health outcomes across different population groups
- Ontology as a tool for open science to reduce segregation of research results and improve access to the full body of knowledge across scientific disciplines, especially as applied to urgent topics such as the climate crisis
- Ontologies in practice across national boundaries, e.g. medical ontologies needing to serve international contexts
- Ontology in translation: ontologies supporting knowledge, data and applications in multiple languages
- Overcoming the practical boundaries of ontologies in integrated applications including data annotation, data integration, data science, machine learning and other artificial intelligence technologies
ICBO|ODLS 2020 is co-chaired by Frank Loebe and Janna Hastings. The full organising committee is detailed here.
We are delighted to announce that our keynote speakers for ICBO 2020 will be:
Professor Susan Michie, head of the Centre for Behaviour Change, University College London.
Dr Chris Mungall, Department Head, Molecular Ecosystems Biology, Berkeley Lab.